The Lib Dems backed the Tories all the way and working families have paid the price. Thanks to the Lib Dems, working people’s wages are down £1,600 a year since 2010 and tax and benefit changes have left families £1,127 worse off.
The Lib Dems broke their central election promises and cannot be trusted. Rather than delivering fair taxes they hiked VAT, and rather than abolishing tuition fees they trebled them. The Lib Dems have been part of a government which imposed the bedroom tax while cutting taxes for millionaires.
The election remains a choice between a Tory plan which is failing working families and Labour’s better plan which will put working families first and save our NHS.
I spoke about this in the Budget debate, which you can watch here.
Labour’s better plan will put working families first and save our NHS:
- Raising living standards by increasing the minimum wage to £8 an hour and 25 hours of free childcare for working parents of 3 and 4 year olds;
- Saving and transforming our NHS with a £2.5 billion a year Time to Care Fund which will pay for 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs and a guarantee of cancer tests in one week;
- Cutting business rates for 1.5 million small business properties and getting 200,000 new homes built a year;
- Balancing the books in a fair way by reversing the Tory tax cut for millionaires;
- A tax cut for 24 million working people through a lower 10p starting rate of tax;
- Guaranteeing an apprenticeship for every school leaver who gets the basic grades and cutting tuition fees to £6,000.
You can’t trust the Lib Dems. No matter what they say, they share the Tories’ record.